State law introduced new, long-term graduation requirements for students in the class of 2023 and beyond. Students entering ninth grade after July 1, 2019, must meet the new requirements outlined in state law.
The new requirements include:
- Credits: Students must earn a minimum total of 20 credits in specified subjects and take the required tests. Please note that Berkshire High School requires students earn 21 credits.
- Competency: Students must earn a passing competency score (684 or higher) on Ohio’s high school Algebra I and English II tests.
- Readiness & Graduation Seals: Students must earn two of the following graduation seals, choosing those that line up with their goals and interests. One of these seals must be state-defined. These seals give students the chance to demonstrate academic, technical and professional skills and knowledge that align to their passions, interests and planned next steps after high school.
- Graduation Seals include the following: Citizenship; College-Ready; Community Service; Fine and Performing Arts; Honors Diploma; Industry-Recognized Credential; Military Enlistment; OhioMeansJob Readiness; Science; Seal of Biliteracy; Student Engagement; Technology
For more information on Graduation Requirements for the Class of 2023 and Beyond:
- Ohio Graduation Requirements: Classes of 2023 and Beyond (2 pages)
- State-Defined Graduation Seals - Criteria and more information
- Locally-Defined Graduation Seals - Criteria
- Ohio's Graduation Requirements: Long-Term Requirements 2023 and Beyond (56 pages)
- Preparing Ohio's Students for their Future
- Berkshire's Graduation Requirement Checklist